Monday, March 9, 2015

Concluding Essay

I will end this research blog with a few points that I discovered through my research on the topic of Japanese hip hop and rap and its relationship with American hip hop and rap.


1) I learned about myself, my prejudices, and my culture.
    Through the research for this project I found some intriguing information that was not previously known to me. I did not realize that American hip hop and rap was actually a reaction to the racial discrimination that has been going on in the United States. I always thought that I knew it was a reaction to individual's socioeconomic situations, hence always rapping about money, but it never occurred to me that it was used as a form of personal expression against the hate and prejudice that has been created.  On the other end of the spectrum it fascinated me to learn about Japanese hip hop and rap, as I am not a big fan of rap/hip hop in general, and that in Japan it is mainly used as a form of speaking out against politicians and issues that occur in every day life. I may not personally listen to rap but now I am more aware of what it may be used for and I will not dismiss it entirely.

2) I learned a little bit more about the fascinating relationship between the east (Japan) and the west (United States).
    I definitely did not realize that jazz had become so popular in Japan, but then I remembered learning about a Japanese singer who was popular for her jazzy (enka) sound in Japan. However I did not realize that jazz was the pinnacle of the musical relationship between the United States and Japan. It would also make sense that jazz would seep into the music of modern day Japan because it held such a westernizing influence for so long. It would only make sense that hip hop and rap would carry on the tradition of jazz through self identity and reflections on authenticity.

3) I still have so much to learn!
    Japanese culture has always fascinated me and it was interesting to look at this aspect of their underground made newly famous culture of rap and hip hop. It has made me seriously consider the connection that Japan and the United States has, despite all of the historical events that have happened. Both countries are so intertwined in each other's destinies and cultures and it goes deeper than I ever could imagine. But I also want to know more about true Japanese culture, so I guess I will just have to go to Japan! It has been great getting out of my comfort zone and learning about a musical genre that I wouldn't personally care much for but I think there is so much to learn about Japan through the movement of rap and hip hop.

There are still so many questions that I have to answer, but I hope that this provides at least a good launching point for anyone interested in learning about Japanese culture through the emerging force that is hip hop and rap.

No comments:

Post a Comment